Recommendations for Commercial Account Takeover Victims
- Immediately cease all activity from computer systems that may be compromised.
- Immediately Contact Us so we can take the following actions:
- Disable online access to accounts.
- Change online banking passwords.
- Open new account(s) as appropriate.
- Ensure that no one has requested an address change, title change, PIN change or ordered new cards, checks or other account documents be sent to another address.
- Engage a forensic investigator to determine the source of the breach and to return your system to a secure state for operations.
- Maintain a written chronology of what happened, what was lost and the steps taken to report the incident to the various agencies, banks and firms impacted. Be sure to record the date, time, contact telephone number, person spoken to, and any relevant report or reference number and instructions.
- File a police report and provide the facts and circumstances surrounding the loss. Obtain a police report number with the date, time, department, location and officer’s name taking the report or involved in the subsequent investigation. Having a police report on file will often facilitate dealing with insurance companies, banks, and other establishments. The police report may initiate a law enforcement investigation into the loss with the goal of identifying, arresting and prosecuting the offender(s) and possibly recovering losses.